Monday, January 9, 2023

Ants

I know I’m one of the few people who like Mondays, but even I have to say this one didn’t start as well as I hoped. Banana Girl texted me to tell me she needed to talk to me about a bunch of things later. Now, I’ve been at this Mom-game for a while, so I know that if it can wait until later, there’s no emergency. No problem.  

However, she then went on to tell me about an ant infestation IN HER SHOES.

 

First of all, I don’t like ants. Actually, I don’t like any bug or bug-like thing. Or rodents. So, this is not how I want to start off my Monday. I’m also very confused because I’ve never heard of ants in shoes. I suspect there are ants AROUND where she keeps her shoes. Considering how well (or NOT) her roommates clean their house, I’m surprised this is the first I’m hearing of anything. She’s also not the best at describing things, and texting isn’t the most accurate way of communicating. The last time she had an issue, she told me there was a bunny caught in the pit outside her window (her room is in the basement). The “bunny” was a vole. Anyway.

 

Although she easily has access to Google, she of course didn’t know what to do, which is why she was asking me. I told her to buy ant traps and to wash the area with vinegar. And to vacuum, a lot. She’ll be fine. I’m just glad I don’t have to live there.

 

Speaking of ants, the heroine of my upcoming book hates ants, too. I thoughts I’d share an excerpt. Enjoy!

 

From the surf, Fiona stared in awe as Caleb removed his shirt. For the first time, she glimpsed the black tattoos covering his shoulders, arms, chest, and upper back. He strode toward the water, powerful muscles bunching, bald head gleaming in the early evening light. He looked like a cross between a Roman god and a biker dude—awesome, powerful, and foreboding. She didn’t know whether to be intrigued or put off—she’d never been attracted to the tatted look, but Caleb pulled it off. 

She started as the water lapped her feet, pulling the sand away from her. Why did she care whether he had tattoos? He wasn’t her type. He was arrogant and high- handed, and he wanted to buy her company. Still, she couldn’t keep her gaze off him as she ignored her stomach flutters. And he had gotten rid of her ants. He swam to what had to be the middle of the ocean. Okay, maybe not the middle of the ocean, but far enough from the shore no one could get to him unless they were a strong swimmer. She suspected he’d escaped on purpose. 

She frowned as she splashed in the water and hopped the waves. 

“Is everything okay?” 

Fiona looked at Lexie, who’d splashed over to her, and nodded. “Sorry, just thinking.” About work, about your brother... 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment