Monday, June 27, 2022

Burn It All Down

I’m angry and don’t have the words to fully express my feelings in a blog post. At least not words that will live up to my own writing standards. So for now, I’m not writing about how women in the US are no longer free to have body autonomy, how a corpse has more rights than an American woman, or how Christian ideology has impinged on the separation of Church and State.

Instead, I’m going to write about how I escape from the real world. I’ll admit, it’s hard to do. Everywhere I turn I see women’s faces frozen in shock or anger. Social media is filled with comments and videos and memes.

 

But I appreciate the friends who have posted images of flowers or videos of the beach. Because although reality can’t, and shouldn’t, be avoided, we do need a break. We need a moment to catch our breath before we once again lose it in anger.

 

I appreciate the authors who have written books I can disappear into for a short while. I’ve got to admit that I’m totally off the dystopian society ones. I want stories that show me what the world can be if things go well, not what it can be if things continue on this trajectory. 

 

I also appreciate the nicer weather we’re having. Breathing fresh air, soaking up the sun, and taking some time out to laugh with friends and family is a huge help. It’s not going to solve anything, but it’s helping me. 

 

If you have other ideas, share them. And if you’re looking for books to help you escape, don’t forget about mine.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn’t agree with you more. Breaks are so important, especially during times like these.

    ReplyDelete