Monday, July 19, 2021

Friends

 This weekend, my husband and I ventured back into the “normal” world, but driving into New York City for The Friends Experience

Living only 45 minutes away, driving or taking the train in for the day was something we would do almost without thinking before the pandemic. But since then, we haven’t. Even now that things are better, we’ve stuck close to home, doing lots of outdoor activities—like hiking, hiking, and more hiking. 

 

But I happened to mention that I miss the city, and he went online and found this event and asked if I was interested. Of course, I agreed. After much discussion, we decided to drive, preferring our own car to public transportation for the moment. You know, baby steps. 

 

We had a great time, and I have to say, it was the perfect way to dip our toes back in the waters of normalcy. My husband and I are of the age that when Friends was on regularly, we could easily relate to the characters and their experiences. So seeing the sets and the clothes and the quotes was kind of like coming home to the familiar.

 




So too, was visiting NYC. There were fewer people, even though it was busy. Streets were narrower because restaurants had taken up space with outdoor seating areas. The Bus Only lanes were new. But the crazy cyclists were still there, as were the people who cross the streets around your cars. The dog walkers were there, too, and the tourists, although there were fewer of them. In other words, we were back, and the city was, too.

 

Nowhere was it clearer that everyone has adapted to Covid, however, than in the actual exhibit!

 


 Welcome to the new normal!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment