Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Welcome Melinda Dozier

Today my guest is Melinda Dozier, talking about her very first book. 

Time Changes Everything Made Me a Real Writer?

I’m so happy to be here today to talk about my book baby, Time Changes Everything. No really. I. am. REALLY. Excited! Like butterflies in the stomach, excited. This book is the very first book I’ve ever written. Though I’ve written many more since then, this is my first. Literally, it is my book baby, and I wrote it while on maternity leave and I had a REAL baby writing a book baby. You get my drift.

The idea came to me as I was reading one of my favorite Harlequins. (I’ve been a devoted fan since I was 13-years old.)  What if I tried to actually write this stuff? So, I sat at my ancient Apple Macinstosh, let me fingers take over, and Jake and Amanda were born! I was amazed! I could actually write romance! Was I a real writer now?

At first I wrote it for myself, for fun, to say that I could do it. Then,as time passed, I had the inkling to actually try to publish it. Would that make me a real writer? I had no idea what to do with that, so I researched, networked online, and learned. This took quite a while. In fact, motherhood to three boys and a full-time job, put Time Changes Everything on hold. But when my youngest turned six, my husband asked me, “Whatever happened to that story of yours? You should really try to finish it and publish it,” and I thought, “yeah, you’re right.” (I won’t deny it. Hubs was right this time!)

So, six years later, my book baby, Time Changes Everything changed everything. (See what I did there?) I took the plunge to publish and became a “real writer.” After several inquiries, it was actually contracted by a small publisher. Wow! I ran through the hallways of the school I taught at, holding my contract high in the air, screaming “I’m going to be a writer!”  I really learned more than I bargained for by being published. I met my core group of writing friends, learned all about editing and the publishing process from beginning to end.

But, yet again, a wrench was thrown my way. The small publisher closed its doors only 8 months after publishing Time Changes Everything, and it wasn’t a smooth closing.  I felt like I had worked so hard for nothing. My baby was there, then taken away. Was I no longer a real writer?

Here’s the thing...What I’ve learned is that you’re a writer, if you think you’re a writer. You’re a writer if you put your heart and soul into your craft. You’re a writer if you have words on paper and even words in your head. The publisher, the contract, the well-known name does not make you a writer.

Even though Time Changes Everything sat on the back burner for several years after that, I was still a writer. Published or not. The fact is, though, I wanted to be published. It was my dream. I went on to publish more books with known presses, and I’m still learning and pursuing to improve my craft.

My latest adventure is Time Changes Everything in all its glory TODAY. Self-publishing my book baby has been another step in my writing career and I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I am to have this book be my first self-pubbed romance novel. It’s always been there as the first with me. The first to make me think like a writer. The first to actually write from beginning to end. The first to publish. The first to say goodbye to and, now, the first to re-release.

Time really does change everything! But one thing has stayed constant. I am a writer. Always have been and always will.



 Title: Time Changes Everything
Author: Melinda Dozier
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Re-Release Date: August 3, 2017

Blurb:
Amanda Larson is dedicated to her job and doesn't want to make time for anything else. Until she runs into Jake Edwards. He used to be the cute boy next door; now he's a sexy, big shot lawyer.

Jake Edwards isn't interested in commitment. He's successful, sexy, and single--and that's how he likes it. When he reconnects with Amanda, Jake realizes he might have to rethink his philosophy on the carefree, bachelor lifestyle.

But, is it too late for them? Or can he convince her that he's ready to give her his heart?

Book Links:

SNIPPET 1:
He took a step closer and shook his head, looking hotter than she’d ever seen him. His hands still rested in his pockets and his serious deep-blue eyes stared at her. “You don’t have to be scared of me.”

“I actually don’t trust myself, Jake.” She switched her weight to her other leg and rolled her eyes.

“Why? You think you’re going to jump me?” He chuckled as he took his last step to her. “I wouldn’t mind.” His gaze traveled over her face, as if he were memorizing every freckle.

He wanted more. Hell, she did too. But then what?

“So, you think that after I jump you, all this will go away?” She pointed back and forth.
“That this attraction will be out of our system and we can continue to be friends? Is that how it works for you?”

He clasped her body tightly to his, his hands wrapped around the sides of her waist, his breath on her face. “What I know is we’ve passed the line of friendship already, so we should just stop holding back.”

Excerpt #1:
In high school, Amanda was someone special. Hell, even before then. Their parents were best friends, which had forced Jake and Amanda together. At first, he’d thought it was a hindrance. Later, when she developed longer legs and a bigger bust, he found himself around her more. After discovering her quirkiness, her love of art and her sense of humor, he actually enjoyed being around her. But he never touched her.

He contemplated running his fingers through her hair like he did his first year of college –– the last time they were alone –– the night he left town and never saw her again.

Did she remember the night he left? Of course she did. Seven years ago, he’d ruined their friendship. He knew Amanda almost as well as he knew himself. Well, he’d known her. Now she was a different woman.

Jake leaned in closer, running his hand down her arm. “Know what I’m thinking?”

Amanda fiddled with her coaster and smiled at him. “I’m not sure I want to know.”

“I’m thinking we should spend a lot more time together.” He reached over and held her chin. “It’s been way too long.”

Amanda licked her lips, and damn it, it actually turned him on. Sweet little Mandy Larson wasn’t so sweet anymore. She was driving him crazy.

She moved closer bridging distance. “Why wait? There’s no time like the present.”

“Exactly.” He drank the last of his beer as the waiter returned with her martini sans olive.

Jake leaned on the table with his elbows, folded his hands together and studied her.

“Look at you, drinking a martini, living the life in New York City.” He examined her from head to toe. “A sexy skirt. Tall boots.” He ran a finger down her cheek. “A beautiful face.”

Amanda hiccupped and put down her glass. “Now, wait a minute. I know it’s been a while, but some things never change, including you.” She wagged her finger at him. “No smooth talking with me. Don’t forget I used to know you better than anybody.”

Because his fingers actually ached with the need to touch her again, he reached over and held her hand. “Yeah, but things have changed, Mandy. We’re two different people now, and I can’t wait to get to know who you are now.”

Other books by Melinda Dozier:



Author Bio:
Reading romance has always been at the top of Melinda's favorite past times. You can always find a book in her hands no matter where she is.

Melinda is Louisiana born, New Mexico raised, Guatemala adopted, and recently a newcomer to Houston, Texas. So, it's only natural that her stories take place all across the world.

Melinda loves reading, reality TV, traveling, blogging, and playing Words with Friends.

Find Melinda on social media at:




8 comments:

  1. Your journey makes for an interesting read in itself! Best of luck with your book "baby" Time Changes Everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! It's been quite a journey!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your release, Melinda! I, too, was an avid romance reader early on and always thought to myself...'hey, I'd like to write one of these some day'. It's always a thrill when a dream comes true, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we're living, breathing examples of dreams becoming reality! Thanks, Debra!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading your writing journey, Melinda. Your determination and enthusiasm is infectious. Congrats on your re-release! Sail on Silver Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My third book was actually the first book I'd written. A little polish and it was on it's way. I'm glad you didn't give up on yours. Good luck Melinda.

    ReplyDelete