Monday, August 21, 2017

T-4 Days

The Princess leaves for her first year of college Friday.

Did you know we have to buy things for her? Like for her dorm room and clothing and towels and bedding and decorations? Did you?

Because I thought I did. I’ve been saying we need to go shopping since she sent her acceptance (and our deposit) via email in April. But for some reason, I, an English-speaking mother, was apparently speaking Swahili. Cool! I didn’t know I had that talent. Wonder what other hidden ones I have.

She’s been going working every day and going out with friends almost every night. I’ve suggested we take a day here or there and get some shopping done. If she was in a good mood, I was ignored.

I finally was able to convince her to do a little bit a few weeks ago—okay, the “little bit” is questionable when it comes to fitting into my car. But we still have a lot more to do. And no matter how often I suggested it, well, you know. I’m only her mother after all.

And then I started getting panicked texts from her while she was out with her friends.

Mom, we NEED to go shopping!
When would you like to go?
Idk
How about tonight?
No, I’m going out.
Tomorrow?
No, I’m going out.
This weekend?
Stop pressuring me!

Fun times.

We’re going today, because she went with her friends and saw all the things they were buying and realized she’s going to have a heck of a time showering without anything to shower with.


Please send chocolate.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! I remember it well. Good luck to you.

    Also good luck on move-in day, when you will again cease to exist, except to be the movers. But g-d forbid, don't make any suggestions to her on where to put anything. Because... independence? I dunno. Maybe a defense mechanism against saying goodbye. Either way, both my kids were snotty about setting up their room. Take deep breaths and go with it. Hopefully she'll be all about letting you help. But if not, know it's totally normal. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all sounds so normal, whichever side of big pond you are on ! Good luck, I'm sure all will go well and princess will be very happy. Mum? Well mum will be emotional and exhausted - but it's worth every moment.x
    Carol

    ReplyDelete