Monday, September 30, 2019

Best Question Yet


“So, do you like doing these types of things?”

This was the question one of my best friends asked me when she came to my book signing this past Saturday.

As questions go, this is a good one (more on that later). My first response was to laugh, but I did answer her that yes, I do enjoy them. She was right. It doesn’t seem like getting myself out there to talk about my books is my cup of tea. I much prefer the writing to the promoting and I’m not one who enjoys talking about myself. However, I’ve realized I have to get past that and I actually do like book signings (especially when my friends and family show up to support me).

I never expected to do a book signing at Chico’s. It’s not a store I typically shop at, and I don’t think it would have occurred to me to ask if they would be willing to let me sign my books while their customers shop. However, one of their sales associates plans store events and, in a search for Morris County authors, came across my name. While I do tend to be shy about putting myself out there, I’m not stupid, and when someone asks me if I’d like to sign my books in their store, my answer will ALWAYS be yes.

So I showed up a few days early to introduce myself and find out what they wanted to do. They really know their stuff. They positioned me by the front door—sounds like a no-brainer, but I can’t tell you how many bookstores have put me in the back where NOBODY goes—offered an additional 10% off their sale prices if customers mentioned seeing my ads on social media, and reminded their customers to stop by my table on the way out of the store.

I sold a LOT of books! 

Of course, no signing of mine is complete without something weird happening, and this was no exception. This event’s crazy comment goes to the older woman who looked me up and down and said, “Yes, you look like someone who writes romance.” I’d foregone the sexy lingerie and was wearing nice pants, a coral shell and a sweater. Not knowing what she meant by that, and truthfully, being a little afraid to ask, I gave her a big smile and said, “Thank you!”

So thanks for the crazy question. It made me laugh. Thanks to my friends and family who showed up to support me. It meant a lot. And thanks to the customers who decided to take a chance on my books. I hope you enjoy them!

2 comments:

  1. why are people so rude and stupid??? Good for you that you sold a lot of books!!! brava.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, I've started keeping track of the crazies. It makes it much more fun.

      Delete