Monday, March 25, 2019

Chaos

There’s chaos everywhere. As expected, the Mueller report was released and will now cause even more debate as both sides debate, well, everything. Great Britain doesn’t know what the heck it’s doing and Canada’s gorgeous PM is plagued by scandal (Canada? Really?).

When the world goes crazy, I retreat into Romancelandia. Except there too, there is chaos. The Rita Awards finalists were just announced, and once again, we have a problem with underrepresentation of authors of color. The fact that not a single author of color has received the award in its 37-year history, despite exceedingly qualified candidates is a problem. A huge problem. A judging problem. One that the RWA Board is working on, but nevertheless, a huge problem that should never have gotten this far. I have several good writing friends (white ones) who have finaled in this contest (the equivalent of the Oscars in the movies) and a few who have won. They all deserved it and I’m so excited for them and proud of them. But there are many authors of color who are as good or better and who deserve it just as much. 

Interested in who I’m talking about?

Alyssa Cole: https://alyssacole.com
Sonali Dev: https://sonalidev.com

There are plenty more. Try someone new. Try someone different. Step out of your comfort zone. 

And regardless of your politics, race, gender, or beliefs, stand up for what’s right.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer, Thanks for your post. It's hard to speak on issues of inclusion and diversity without stepping on landmines, knocking over sacred cows and discounting everyone's hard work. As I look over the history of granting awards and prizes to get some perspective, I see change comes, but slowly. I look forward to the day when the isms of our society no longer get in the way. The bottom line is to continue pressing on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. And as a white author, I have very little right to say anything. So I watch and I read and I learn. But I do support change.

      Delete