Wednesday, October 17, 2018

My Guest, Rachel Brimble

I'm so pleased to welcome Rachel Brimble to my blog today. She has a new book out that looks fantastic!


First, let's get to know her a bit. She was kind enough to answer some questions.

Welcome, Rachel! People often ask about author's writing styles or schedules. What is yours? 

I’m not sure a writer can actually define their writing style – it’s a question of doing what feels natural to them and never trying to write in someone else’s style. That never works!
As for my schedule, I’m lucky enough to be able to write full-time so I treat it as I would any other job. I work 8.30am to 5.30pm every day with a lunch break and a couple of dog walks in between. I try not to work at the weekend. Not that it always works out that way…

I totally know what you mean. I try to do the same thing, like you say, when it works. How about your location. Where do you actually write?

I have my own home office which I love! The walls are painted a pale blue which is supposed to be calming and good for concentration. I sit at a huge white desk surrounded by white bookshelves bulging with fiction and research books. My office is my happy place!

Sounds lovely! Do you write linearly or not?

Absolutely! I have writer friends who can go back and forth with their timelines but my brain just doesn’t work that way. I start at the beginning and work straight through to The End. In fact, I try to write the first draft without looking back at all! For me, it’s the best way for guaranteed words every day.

What sort of other activities keep you from actually writing?

Social media…this is my real time suck and one that I, unfortunately, enjoy far too much. Also, I love my TV dramas and knitting which tend to go hand in hand.

Those are great ways to procrastinate. :) Do you have support, either from family and friends or a writing group?

I’ve been writing for over thirteen years and built up a fabulous network of writer friends (Jennifer included!) who I can call on when I’m struggling or have news to celebrate. I also have three critique partners whom I’ve been working with for years – they are my absolute support. I’d be lost without them.

Aw, love you, Rachel! And my critique partners are amazing too! How long does it normally take you to write a novel?

I like to have six months from idea to finished draft – this is my comfortable time span but as the publishing world grows ever more competitive, I am trying to increase my output without burning out completely. Although I have writer friends a lot more prolific than me, I’m still trying to figure out how they manage it.

Who or what are your inspirations?

My author idols are Nora Roberts, Jill Shalvis and Jodi Picoult – I love and admire their work for different reasons but they are totally my ‘go to’ authors. As for inspirations of spirit and strength, my mother, female entrepreneurs and Oprah.

If there’s a single aspect to writing that really frustrates you, what is it?

Ideas and plotting! Every writer (every person, in fact!) can have a spark of an idea but the problem comes with stretching that idea to an 90,000 + word novel. I have a whole file filled with one sentence ideas but fleshing out those ideas is always my problem. Writing never gets easier, I’m afraid.

No, it really doesn't. Given unlimited resources, what would be your ideal writing environment?

Ooh, great question! My husband is a semi-professional singer so I sometimes daydream that when the kids are grown, he’ll get a job singing on a cruise ship and I can spend all day writing while we travel the world. Sounds good, right?

That sounds so good! And I think you need to bring an American friend with you, just because! Tell me about your latest book.

The Mistress of Pennington’s is the first book in an ongoing series set in Bath’s finest department store. I loved the TV shows The Paradise and Mr Selfridge but something was always missing for me. Once I came to the conclusion that I wanted to know more about the women in the series,I then had the idea for a series theme of ‘female empowerment’.

The Mistress of Pennington’s is about women in business, book 2 (A Rebel At Pennington’s – coming Feb 2019) is about women’s suffrage and book 3 is about the stigma of divorce in the early 20thcentury.

Love, love, love the premise of this series! Do you have a favorite character and if so, who and why?

Elizabeth Pennington, the heroine, is absolutely my favourite character – she is strong and determined, but also warm and caring which, I think, is a wonderful way for anyone to be, whether male or female. She was an absolute joy to write and often I heard her so clearly, it was like taking dictation when she spoke. The best thing about writing a series is you can continue living with the characters you love and get rid of the ones that you don’t, lol!

I know, right? What are you working on now?

Right now, I am working on the first draft of book 3 which will be a Christmas 2019 book – I am enjoying it, albeit, I am struggling with the heroine’s motivation for some of her actions. Having said that, this is what writing is…hard work and exploration! As this is the first draft I won’t start panicking as everything can be fixed in the following drafts. The good thing is, I am back with Elizabeth and Joseph (the hero from The Mistress of Pennington’s) and loving their company!

And now that I've whet your appetite, here's more information about Rachel's book. 


1910 – A compelling tale of female empowerment in Bath's leading department store. Perfect for the fans of the TV series Mr Selfridge and The Paradise.
Elizabeth Pennington should be the rightful heir of Bath's premier department store through her enterprising schemes and dogged hard work. Her father, Edward Pennington, believes his daughter lacks the business acumen to run his empire and is resolute a man will succeed him.
Determined to break from her father's iron-clad hold and prove she is worthy of inheriting the store, Elizabeth forms an unlikely alliance with ambitious and charismatic master glove-maker Joseph Carter. United they forge forward to bring Pennington's into a new decade, embracing woman's equality and progression whilst trying not to mix business and pleasure.
Can this dream team thwart Edward Pennington's plans for the store? Or will Edward prove himself an unshakeable force who will ultimately ruin both Elizabeth and Joseph?

Buy Links:
Amazon US: http://a.co/3OFh9JK


In January 2018, she signed a four-book deal with Aria Fiction for a new Edwardian series set in Bath’s finest department store. The first book, The Mistress of Pennington’s released July 2018.
Rachel is a member of the Romantic Novelists Association and Romance Writers of America, and was selected to mentor the Superromance finalist of So You Think You Can Write 2014 contest. When she isn’t writing, you’ll find Rachel with her head in a book or walking the beautiful English countryside with her family. Her dream place to live is Bourton-on-the-Water in South West England.
She likes nothing more than connecting and chatting with her readers and fellow romance writers. Rachel would love to hear from you!
Links:
Amazon Author Page:
Goodreads:
Bookbub:

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining me today, Rachel, and best of luck with your new series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me! I'm looking forward to chatting with your visitors :)

      Delete
  2. Great interview, ladies. Rachel, it's wonderful getting to know you better. Best of luck with the new series! This first book sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara! Lovely to see you here - hope I’ve tempted you to try the book! I loved writing it :)

      Delete
  3. Your new book sounds great, Rachel. Love the cover. Best of luck with your release. Have you had a chance to read Jodie Picoult's latest? It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, unfortunately - I’m about three books behind with her list! I love this cover, too 😊

      Delete
  4. Rachel, I wasn't familiar with your books, but am so glad Jennifer had you on her blog. You write exactly what I love to read! I'm heading to Amazon now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie - that’s great! Hope you enjoy Elizabeth’s story 😊😊

      Delete
  5. Wonderful interview. And it's good to meet another "linear" writer, too! Wishing you continued success, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! I can’t imagine writing any other way - nice to meet you, too 😊

      Delete
  6. Very interesting interview and great questions. Your book sounds like it will draw in a lot of readers. I love hearing about other writers and how they use their time writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The reviews have been great so far / long may it continue 😊

      Delete
    2. I do too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I envy you being able to write a book in six months. It usually takes me about a year. Your new one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends who can write so much more - I have no idea how they do it! 😳😳

      Delete