Monday, July 18, 2016

Camp NaNoWriMo

A bunch of writer friends and I are participating in CampNaNoWriMo this month. It’s a shorter version of NaNoWriMo, where you choose your project and your final word count.

I aimed small with only 20,000 words. I’m more than halfway there and shouldn’t have a problem meeting my deadline.

As for the camp part? Well, you form “cabins” with your friends to cheer each other on and your cabin gets a target word count based on everyone’s individual ones added together. There’s lots of support.

My cabin is very supportive of each other. It might be because everyone is nice or it might be because we’re all romance writers. As a genre, romance writers are extremely supportive of one another. It’s very rare for anyone to tear another author down. Even the big names make a point to help out other writers, remembering that they were once there too.

Support is crucial. We all go through periods of time when we think we suck, when we’re ready to give up, when we’re completely uninspired. It’s those times when we fall back on our writer friends, or in this case, our cabin. And those friends and bunkmates remind us we don’t suck, convince us not to give up and help us find our inspiration.


So while my kids are at camp, I’ll be there too. Only mine has AC. The food is good, if I do say so myself. And there are no bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment