Monday, October 21, 2013

Sexy Firefighters, Jewelry and Books, Oh My!


I spent the past weekend at a writer’s conference, the New Jersey Romance Writer’s Dream Big – Write Now Conference. There were two days worth of speakers, workshops, networking and lots of fun.

Here are some things I learned:

  • Romance writers are some of the nicest and most supportive writers around. We think, write and talk about love all day long. It’s almost impossible to be mean.
  • When you “know” people on Twitter and Facebook, you’re greeted like a long-lost friend when you finally meet in person.
  • If you squish on an elevator with a large number of people, someone is probably going to make a comment about the elevator getting stuck. If those people are romance writers, that comment will quickly devolve into a group brainstorming session about firefighters. Sexy ones. Without shirts. If this concerns you, you may want to take the stairs.
  • No one warned me that I should have a script ready for when famous romance authors (like, seriously famous ones—Eloisa James, ConnieBrockway) stop at my table during the book fair and ask me about my books. As a result, I sounded like an idiot.
  • However, if you want to meet famous romance authors, find the breakfast table with the coffee. They will carry their cups around the room looking for a place to sit and you’ll end up with awesome tablemates (VirginiaKantra)!
  • Wear statement jewelry. They’re great conversation starters, especially if, like me, you’re a bit shy.
  • Want an autograph from an author but you have their book on your Kindle/Nook/iPad? Have them sign your leather cover.

 It was a great conference—I can’t wait until next year!

4 comments:

  1. Great advice, Jennifer! I'm sure you didn't really sound like an idiot, but I know the feeling! Don't forget, that probly happens to everyone! ;)

    The jewelry advice is a keeper! I did a local book festival on Saturday and one of the women had her cover made into a necklace. It was eye-catching and definitely a conversation starter! :)

    ~Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, the jewelry is a great ice breaker. I highly recommend it!

      Delete