Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Welcome, Kim Ligon

VOICES IN MY HEAD 

 

Thank you Jennifer for allowing me to opine a few moments on your blog. First, a little about me. My debut novel, “Polly’s List”, came out in August 2022. My second novel with The Wild Rose Press was published this week—“Landing On Her Feet.”

 

I can’t pinpoint the exact moment I got the idea for my latest book. With great frequency the voices in my head hijacked my hands. I used to be worried about hearing them, but I’ve seen other authors allude to the same thing. If I’m crazy, I’m not alone. When the voices are humming, I take on the role of the medium at a séance. We’re all around a table holding hands and I’m possessed by the character who has something they have to say. Then I move to my keyboard and I type whatever they tell me to. 

 

Sometimes it’s the pure drivel of a jealous character who thinks they haven’t had enough attention in the story so far. Usually, they’re simply being impatient. But often it is wonderful. Spot on. And it gets me over the latest snag in my story or introduces a new intriguing element to the unfolding plot. 

 

Some characters prefer to approach when my defenses are down. They appear in my dreams. In this book, the main evil character went through many iterations as “Danny Mercer”. He appeared one night demanding, “I want a new name. What is menacing about a Danny?” In the final draft he became Dirk Crowe and it must have suited him because he didn’t return to complain and believe me, he’s not the type to go quietly into the good night!

 

The biggest change in this novel came not from inside my head, but from the one on the pillow next to mine—my husband’s. He liked the story but thought the male good guy was entirely too wimpy. He took the time to help me strengthen Chase’s character and made the story better. For a long time, I’d dubbed the novel “Saving Chase.” I’m lucky my mate didn’t insist on co-authorship.

 

If you liked my debut novel, you’ll find some familiar friends in this story. It is not a sequel, but a standalone set in the same fictional small town of Lansdale, Wisconsin. It is a rated G suspenseful romance with a generous splash of faith. I hope you’ll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. 

 

The voices are growing impatient to work on story three. Gotta go! Thanks again, Jennifer. Have a marvelous summer!



Blurb


Kat Russell narrowly escaped death at Dirk Crowe’s hands six years ago. He’s out of prison. To protect her family, she must flee Philadelphia—the only home she’s ever known—with her five-year-old son, Timmy. Is Wisconsin far enough away to escape evil? 

 

Chase Merrick, father of Timmy’s new best friend, wants to help. What is Kat hiding? Why does she insist she must face whatever it is alone? 

 

When Can Kat stop constantly looking back over her shoulder? Will secrets and shame stop her from accepting Chase’s protection? Or unite them in the face of danger to keep their sons safe? 


Excerpt

 

The unmistakable roar of a motorcycle echoed  through the diner. Kat stopped where she stood. Her  lungs wouldn’t refill. She gripped the counter to steady  her trembling legs. Out the front window she saw a red- helmeted rider atop a motorcycle pull out of a space in front of the diner and drive away.  

Impossible. Not here. He couldn’t know she’s gone. Not yet. Other people with red helmets ride motorcycles. Get a grip, girl! People are staring. Stop  scowling. She wiped away the tear that slipped down  her cheek, plastered on what she hoped was a pleasant  smile, and resumed pouring coffee. She needed to make a good impression. She had to keep this job.


Links

 

Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Landing-Her-Feet-Janine-Ligon/dp/15092497337/

 

Barnes and Noble:

https://barnesandnoble.com/w/landing-on-her-feet-kim-janine-ligon/1143205488

 

Goodreads

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/123737915-landing-on-her-feet/

 

Bookbub:

www.bookbub.com/books/landing-on-her-feet-by-kim-janine-ligon



Bio


Kim Ligon has been writing stories for most of her life—some on paper and some only in her head. She has lots of source material growing up as the oldest child in a large family in a small town in Wisconsin. Her father was a veterinarian so there were not only lots of children around, but all manner of house pets and farm animals too. Her love of reading comes from her mother who was seldom seen sitting down without a book in her hand. After a demanding career in healthcare information technology, she is now getting to do all the creative things she loves which includes writing her stories to share with you. She lives with her chief encourager and personal romantic hero, her husband of almost forever, in Alabama. Please follow her further adventures at www.spinningromance.com

 

6 comments:

  1. The story sounds great, and I love where it all comes from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Liz. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You're welcome! Good luck with your book.

      Delete
  4. Love learning more about your process, Kim! I so looking forward to your new book. Many wishes for your continued success, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Barbara!

      Delete