Monday, March 29, 2021

Cake For Breakfast

 My girls were always picky eaters—still are, to some extent, although they’ve gotten better. I’ve never been a big breakfast person. Breakfast buffets are wasted on me, growing up, I preferred tuna salad or an Eggo waffle (not together), and now I like a half of a muffin or bagel.

So Passover is a challenge, especially when the girls were little. They always liked specific food, and while I could experiment with something new once in a while, experimenting during Passover wasn’t ideal, since the fallback couldn’t be pizza. Lunches were met with groans, and they ended up eating a lot of peanut butter on matzah and complaining all day how hungry they were.

 

Therefore, I tried to make breakfast fun.

 

“How about cake for breakfast?”

 

The first time I asked them that, their eyes grew huge, probably picturing birthday cakes and frosting, all while wondering who the person was who was impersonating their mom, and how could they keep her?

 

There aren’t a lot of options for Passover breakfasts that don’t taste gross. Actually, I’m of the opinion that most prepared Passover food in general tastes gross, but that’s beside the point. If you shop early enough for Passover food, you can snag boxes of Passover “cake mix.” The earlier you go, the more varieties they have—vanilla, chocolate, marble, coffee. 

 

Here’s a secret, they all pretty much taste the same. And they certainly don’t taste like the kind of cake my kids were picturing. However, for breakfast? Knowing that it’s “cake” adds a level of forbidden fruit to the idea, and even though I draw the line at frosting, all my kids’ complaints about Passover food disappeared once I made them cake and gave it to them first thing in the morning.

 

It soon became a tradition—for them, it gave them food to look forward to, since the rest of the year certainly did not allow for cake for breakfast. And for me, it was easy and staved off the complaints until later in the day.

 

I have another reason to have cake for breakfast today. Not only is it Passover, but my latest book is out today! A Reckless Heart is the first in my steamy contemporary Scarred Hearts Series. Reviews are coming in and they are making my heart happy. I’d love for you to consider adding a new book of mine to your e-reader or bookshelf!

 


Blurb: Meg Thurgood, former society girl, took the blame for her friend and paid a steep price. Now all she wants is solitude and a chance to rebuild her life. She thinks she's found that in an isolated house she rents from a mysterious stranger.

Simon McAlter has hidden in his house on the coast of Maine since a fire left him scarred. A successful landscape architect who conducts his business and teaches his classes remotely, he's lost his inspiration and is trying to pretend he's not lonely. 

Simon's new neighbor is more than he bargained for. When he learns Meg's secret, will he retreat into the shadows or will he learn to see past the surface and trust in Meg's love? 

 

Buy Links

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X429BMX

Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-reckless-heart-jennifer-wilck/1138858163?ean=2940162335382

Apple: https://books.apple.com/us/book/a-reckless-heart/id1554790505

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/a-reckless-heart-1

 

No comments:

Post a Comment