Monday, September 16, 2019

Let's Get a Move On!

Our Empty Nest Adventures have begun, and I have discovered it’s a lot less stressful getting out of the house when I’m only responsible for myself. Yeah, I know, that sounds obvious, but hear me out. 

With two girls, there’s a lot of drama in our house. There’s also a lot of prep work. So when we have plans, the conversations typically go something like this:

Husband, in front of girls: When are we leaving?
Me: X time 

½ hour before departure

Me: Why aren’t you getting ready?
Banana Girl: it only takes me twenty minutes.
Princess: I’m going, I’m going.

X time arrives. Husband comes downstairs. I’m ready. Girls are nowhere in sight.

Me: Girls, let’s go!
Banana Girl: I’ll be ready in 5 minutes.
Me: But I said we were leaving now.
Banana Girl: Oh, I thought you were building in extra time.

Princess saunters downstairs a minute later.
Me: Why are you late?
Princess: I’m done before Banana Girl.

We end up leaving 10 minutes after I wanted (even when I build in time). I’m sweating and stressed and everyone is yelling and tell me again why we do things as a family?

Now, leaving is a lot different. 

Husband: What time are we leaving?
Me: We have to be there by X and I don’t want to be rushing. So let’s leave at Y.
Husband: Okay.

Y time arrives. Husband comes downstairs. I come downstairs. We leave.

End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment