Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Please Welcome Caryn McGill, AKA Kendra Greenwood

            Hi Jennifer, thanks for having me!

            My new book just released and I’ve been reflecting on how I wound up a romance writer. It certainly wasn’t on my bucket list. My background is in science, having taught AP biology and chemistry at a Long Island high school before moving into administration. The only writing I’d done was scientific and professional, the complete opposite of writing fiction. My first published novel was book one in a paranormal trilogy called The Wives of Lucifer, released in 2016 and written under my legal name. The story is about reincarnation—homage to my little brother who died at three, when I was five—and a result of my years spent as an astrologer. I know, it sounds like the complete opposite of being a scientist. Truthfully, scientists are just dreamers who take the next step and transform their dreams into reality. Dreams are also important in my writing and I often dream my endings.
            I’m a self-taught writer and spent years in workshops and at conferences to hone my skills and learn the business. It took nine years to secure my first publishing contract, which turned out to be primarily a romance publisher. I’d never considered my story a romance and had actually never even read a romance novel. After Fifty Shades of Greycame out my writer pals teased that someone should jump on that train since it seemed to be a hot trend. Jokingly, everyone decided that I would be the one to write it. I laughed it off but soon a story thread began to unwind and characters starting talking to me. I’m a die-hard pantser. I always start with characters and a nugget of a plot and then let the characters talk to me, mostly when I’m falling asleep or as I wake. When I’m in the heat of it they often wake me in the middle of the night to tell me something important. The result was UNSUB and I quickly found a publisher. To my utter shock it did surprising well and my editor convinced me to turn it into a series: The Steel and Desire Series and book two, UNBOUND, just released. I write this series under a pen name to protect my two sons who are mortified that I write sexy stuff, plus I wouldn’t want someone who reads my paranormal stories to read one of these by mistake. 
            So, I have a confession to make. I’ve become a terriblereader! I used to love to read but now I’m so critical about technique: story, plot, dialogue that my self-editor can barely get past the first chapter. My mentors trained me that the first page is vital, not only that, the first paragraph, first sentence…first word! Now, if that first page or chapter doesn’t grab me I’m loathe to keep reading. I sound like the younger generation who’s stereotyped as having a poor attention span. Guilty as charged, however I attribute it to my Aquarian nature, I get bored easily. I remember lamenting to my first astrology teacher that I had a habit of immersing myself in something, learning to do it expertly, then walking away: macramé, embroidery, wood sculpture, silver jewelry making, fusing glass. Why couldn’t I stick with something? Her response, “…because for an Aquarian the fun is in the discovery, the learning. Once you master it you move on to a new challenge.” Well, la-de-da…let’s hope this writing gig sticks around for a while! 

Author Bio
Kendra Greenwood has always been a storyteller. She often told stories to her kids at bedtime in lieu of reading to them. A serious daydreamer, she used to think it the complete opposite of her education and work in the sciences, but now realizes scientists are the ultimate daydreamers. Fantasy has always been an escape for Kendra…weaving a thrilling romantic tale around TV and film characters, her favorite way to fall asleep at night. Inspired by authors J.R. Ward, Cherise Sinclair and Sylvia Day, she decided to write her own series:Steel and Desire.  

Kendra grew up on the beaches of Long Island’s bucolic east end, but recently relocated to Virginia. When she’s not writing you can find her in the kitchen whipping up something scrumptious or in the studio painting, or fusing glass into decorative dishes.

Blurb: 
            You’re not allowed to be a coward and be in love. You must choose one.
            Special Agent Laura Logan had a difficult childhood and that’s putting it mildly. Laura channeled her buried rage into her studies, earned a law degree and joined the FBI. As a member of the new human trafficking task force, Laura wants to impress and she wants to make the perps pay. 
            Detective Lieutenant Steve Moretti moonlights at a very exclusive adult club, his reward is a free membership along with other perks. His family is pressuring him to find a nice woman and settle down, but that bridge was burned by his ex. His new view: Marriage is betting half your stuff that you’ll love someone forever.
            A kidnapping shocks Steve’s town and the FBI is called in. Steve and Laura meet at the crime scene, sparks fly, and they work the case together. As passion ignites, their no-love commandment is tested. Can they overcome the heartbreak of betrayal and learn to love before it’s too late? Are they so afraid they refuse to love at all?

Publisher’s Note: This is book two in the Steel and Desire series, but reads as a standalone.

Buy Link: https://amzn.to/2NYHZ3i

8 comments:

  1. Welcome and good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for having me! It's always fun meeting new people...readers and authors alike.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed getting to know you, Kendra. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Great to connect with you. Hmm, looks like I need to update my Google picture! Yikes!

      Delete
  3. Kendra, I too am a confirmed pantser! When those characters take over and the story unfolds...isn't that just the best feeling? Wishing you ever success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Funny, I never knew people wrote the other way...with an outline and all that planning before they write a single word. When I did, I was horrified and thought...ugh, that's like writing a term paper. How could that possibly be fun? I get it now, some people just think differently. To each his own. Ha

      Delete
  4. Thanks Kendra, for sharing your interesting story about becoming a writer. Astrology and science – I can see the connection! Unbound sounds like a great story. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your new release.

    ReplyDelete