Monday, November 14, 2016

The Aftermath

I don’t know about you, but I’ve had it with the election. I’m done with reading everyone’s posts on Facebook for or against the results, prophesizing doom and gloom or a new dawn. That’s not to say I don’t have my own opinions, because I do. I’m not hiding my head in the sand, I’m looking forward with realism and making sure I’m prepared. And if you’re reading this blog, I’m sure you have an inkling of where I stand. But the last thing I want is a lot of political comments on my blog. Therefore, I’m remaining silent here.

So…I am grateful for one thing that resulted from this election. It’s personal, it’s within my own insular bubble, but it’s what has gotten me through this past week (in addition to looking forward to the chocolate expo, which was yummy!) and it’s what is going to carry me through the next four years.

Kindness.

No, I’m not oblivious to the hatred that has been spewed since the election cycle has started, or has risen up on both sides since the results were tallied. I’m not naïve enough to think I, or my friends, won’t experience it personally. The kindness I’m talking about, though, is different.

It’s in the deep breath I take before responding to someone, the extra care I’m taking with my words and the smile and manners I’m trying extra hard to use when talking to people.

It’s in the defense of a teacher my daughter provided when said teacher was questioned in the classroom about her vote—and the conversation at home is created about the necessity of standing up and speaking out whenever you see unjust behavior.

It’s in the silence of normally outspoken people who realize that now might not be the best time to gloat, when emotions are still so raw.

It’s in the donations I’ve made to organizations and political groups to continue their work, and the concrete suggestions made my friends about how to help.


Hatred is easy to find. It feeds off of fear, and right now, everyone is afraid. But kindness is just as easy to find and can feed just as easily. While kindness alone isn’t enough to accomplish anything, it’s a good start.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. My husband and I have very different political views, he's a staunch republican, and I'm.....well honestly I don't know what category I fall into but it's very different from him. I still love him. There hasn't been a divorce in our future and we still get along. I have friends, family, acquaintances that voted trump, but I still love them all.

    Love and understanding should always come first. It's what makes the world a happy place.

    ReplyDelete