Monday, June 6, 2016

I Work

Banana Girl defended me to her friends this weekend. They seem to have a negative opinion about whether working from home is really “work,” and Banana Girl tried to set them straight.

While I’m not a big fan of her feeling the need to defend me, I’m glad I’ve instilled in her the understanding that what I do is work. Sure, it’s not going to an office every day, reporting to a boss and requesting time off, but it’s work. I have deadlines, I have to-do lists and I get paid.

But more than that, I work even when I don’t get paid and my time is just as valuable as anyone else’s. In fact sometimes, I work harder for no money than I do for money.

My job as a mom is as important as anything else I do. I’m raising a responsible human, for goodness’ sake! And if you don’t believe that’s important, look around at all the irresponsible, horrible people out there. I want better for the world and I expect better of myself and my children.

My responsibilities extend to more than just my family, and I take those responsibilities seriously. You may not see that; many people don’t. But responsibility also comes from within, and your inability to see it doesn’t mean it’s not worthy or that it doesn’t exist.


So the next time you’re tempted to belittle someone else’s time, take a moment to think. Banana Girl does, and that to me is worth more than the salary you earn.

No comments:

Post a Comment