Monday, February 23, 2015

The Oscars

I didn’t watch the Oscars last night.

I know, I know, that’s horrible. It borders on un-American. And it’s certainly isolating as news and social media is filled with commentary about what happened, while I remain blissfully ignorant.

I did check out some of the gowns. I scrolled through the People website so I could take a look at them. Most seemed elegant and a majority were white.

When my husband and I were dating, we went to the movies almost every weekend. We were up on all the latest and it was one of our favorite activities. Once we had kids and limited babysitting, we fell out of the movie routine.

So then he started recording them. And I’ll confess, we watched a lot of them at home. But lately, I haven’t had much of a desire to watch movies. I’d rather watch TV shows. Movies are one and done. Whatever connection I feel to characters or story is fleeting. With TV shows, though, I can come back every week and see what’s happening to characters I’ve invested time and thought in.

I don’t get that as much with movies.

So the Oscars have little appeal to me. And the speeches? Most of them I find horribly embarrassing. You know how some people, when they watch scary things, cover their faces with pillows (seemingly to forget they have eyelids)? Well, that’s me with awards shows. I hate the speeches. They’re either stupid or so emotional, they’re meant for the privacy of their family, not the public venue of a show broadcast to millions of viewers. I cringe for them as if I’m the one putting myself on display.


I didn’t watch the Oscars, I’m not sorry and I’ll have to smile blandly during conversations about what happened. That’s okay. I hope you enjoyed them!

No comments:

Post a Comment